Skip to main content

To the lighthouse


This is the lighthouse that overlooks the harbour in Kenosha, Wisconsin. It function now is predominantly decorative. Once upon a time the harbour bustled with trade across the expanse of Lake Michigan and the neighbouring Great Lakes. Now the harbour is recreational and if bad weather beckons, the leisure community stays at home. No overbearing economic imperative drives them out across the water.

For six months in 2001-2, this red lighthouse was my daily destination. I walked out from the 'Friends of God' Dominican ashram (sadly no more) on a daily walk through the lakeside park, across a small beach, to the lighthouse, around, and back home. I was on a sabbatical at an experimental contemplative community founded by my friend, Fr Don Goergen OP, experiencing a differently paced life of stillness, silence and quiet fellowship.

Each day on my walk, I would take one or more of the dreams that assailed my night. Something about stopping and stepping out of the usual rounds of work and life, opened one up to an "unconscious" party - seven or eight scenarios a night unfolding before my lidded eyes! It was an exercise in dream 'interpretation'. I would play with scenarios of understanding, gaining illumination, and I found that the next night the dreams would reply. Usually saying, yes, you may have seen it like this but what about? They playfully took you deeper. It was a time of continuous, glimpsing, revelation.

I was reminded of it today because I had one of those dreams that, as a friend once said, push you down into the mattress!

I was at a ruined chapel and at the foot of the Cross lay a statue of St Peter, horizontal, prone, dead. In front of which was a statue of St John the Evangelist, kneeling, fully alive.

I was reminded of a dream of Gay Taylor, a friend of the poet, Kathleen Raine, who meets a 'cardinal' angel amidst a ruined chapel and who saw this as a similar sign to my own dream. The church as institution is in reality finished (all appearance to the contrary) and the church that truly matters is one that lives in 'the heart of men' (which was the message that the angel imparted to Gay Taylor). Or as the distinguished Jesuit theologian, Karl Rahner, put it, the future church would be one of mystics or it would be not at all.

The turn (to use that post-modern phrase) must be to 'experience' - the sensitive (and hopefully supported) fathoming of one's own inner light, explorations into and from the Spirit.

The backwash against this turn will, I fear, be enormous, as we already experience, and as the great theoretician of the evolution of consciousness, Jean Gebser, suggested, when a new evolutionary form (the inward way) become efficient, the old way becomes 'deficient' (the appeal to externalised authority that once worked but is now degraded into fundamentalism).

Nothing about evolution is destined. An inwardly directed, experienced spirituality may not emerge as the default mode of being (religious) but one can hope that it will, and I can work (on myself) for it and its sharing.

The lighthouse, in retrospect, was a remarkable symbol - of light penetrating darkness allowing safe navigation - a beautiful analogy for dreams bearing meaning out from the darkness of sleep into a renewing daylight in the light of which you found your way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buddha meets Christ in embrace

Reading Lama Anagarika Govinda is proving nostalgic on a number of fronts. I recall my first reading of it in my first year at university, bought at Watkins, the famous 'esoteric' bookshop in Cecil Court in London. I sat in my hall of residence room transfixed by a world made familiar; and, it was deepening of a commitment to contemplation (which has been observed fitfully)! I remember returning, at the time, to my school to give a talk to the combined fifth form on Buddhism and using Govinda as the backbone of my delivery (both this book, and his equally wonderful, the Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism). I was voted (I immodestly remember) their best invited speaker of the year. I had even bought a recording of Tibetan music as opener and closer! He reminded me of how important Buddhism was (and is) to my own thinking and comprehension of my experience. The Buddha's First Sermon in the Deer Park was the first religious text I read (of my own volition) at the tender age

Searching for paradise in the hidden Himalayas

At moments of dislocation and intense social uncertainty people will appear offering the possibility of another land where people will be blessed, liberated and genuinely at home. In this case, it was not 'Brexit' but a hidden land of actual immortality, enfolded within the mountain ranges around Mt Kanchenjunga on the Nepalese/Sikkim border. Unlike Shangri-la, Beyul Demoshong was not simply a physical space, carefully hidden (as imagined in Hilton's Lost Horizon) but an occulted place spiritually hidden. The person offering this journey and opening the way to it was the 'crazy lama', Tulshuk Lingpa. Lingpa was a 'terton' a finder of 'terma' which were texts magically hidden until discovered at the right moment for them to be of maximum usefulness to people's spiritual development. They were often hidden by Padmasambhava, the robust wonder-working bringer of Buddhism to Tibet; and, Tibetan Buddhism is alive with such discoveries (though und

Parzival and the neutral angels

Fresh from contemplating 'Lost Christianity', I read Lindsay Clarke's fabulous re-telling of Wolfram von Eschenbach's poem, 'Parzival and the Stone from Heaven' from which 'Christendom' is lost! Von Eschenbach was a sacred poet but one of ecumenical sympathies where not only is Parzival's final battle (unknowingly) with his brother, the piebald Saracen, Feirefiz, essential to his self-discovery but the two of them enter the Grail castle together and are granted together a vision of the 'stone' that is the Grail. When Feirefiz asks whether it is permitted to see this Christian  mystery, Parzival answers (in Clarke's version) yes for, "all Nature's increase is there, so I think that this stone from Heaven must be a living emblem of the earth itself, which is mother and father to us all." There are knights, ladies, sorcerers, hermits and wise old hags abounding in Eschenbach's world but interestingly for a mediev