Skip to main content

The Whisperers

"Wonderful...I've rarely read anything like it," proclaims Claire Tomalin on the front cover of the paperback edition of Orlando Figes, 'The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia".

It is not the epithet I would immediately reach for. Antony Beevor's 'heart-rending' on the back cover is a more accurate summation of this terrible text.

Terrible in a literal sense - both the terror of people, caught in a system that devoured its own (and many of its victims, at one level at least, appeared resigned to its justification, in a recurrent phrase, 'you cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs') and terrible because it seems so beyond comprehension; not least because the broken eggs were not making an omelette! For all its vaunted achievements, Russia stayed behind the living conditions of the West on virtually every front (as it does today).

There is no reason for believing that the liberal/social democracy inaugurated by the February revolution would not have arrived at similar levels of material well-being at significantly lower human cost had not the Bolshevik coup of October 1917 not interrupted and shattered it.

It is the accumulation of individual stories that works Figes' dark magic. You taste communal living. You taste the life always overheard. You taste the fear of the misplaced word or the argument over living space sparking denunciation. You feel for the children abandoned, their parents arrested, and their relatives too fearful to take them in, consigned to swelling orphanages in often appalling conditions. Even the moments of light are subsequently despoiled, the teacher at school who afforded protection, paying your fees out of her own pocket, is subsequently arrested and shot. Figes even makes you feel for the people who made this revolution and were then consumed by it, blinkered by utopian hopes.

It is a terrible tale, made more so by realising that, at depth, neither historically nor societally has it been addressed, spoken of and to. It lingers and you can only guess at what cost.

In my own history, I find myself wondering what impact did my grandfathers' sustained trauma of fighting on the Western Front for four years impart on their children's lives. From my parents' accounts it was significant - their obsessive valuation of silence, their retreat from the challenges of fully making a living (a burden carried by my grandmother) etc. What then the impact of thirty years of waves of terror bringing out the best but more often the worst (or simply the numbing) of our humanity?

I, also, recognised in myself how debilitating such reading is, whatever its necessity, on my own sense of well-being. The psychologists call it a capacity to 'introject' to carry as if my own the feelings of others, sometimes to a crippling extent. It permeates me - the sadness of it - insinuating itself. I was so relieved to stop reading it! But the traces, the traces in memory, and more than memory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buddha meets Christ in embrace

Reading Lama Anagarika Govinda is proving nostalgic on a number of fronts. I recall my first reading of it in my first year at university, bought at Watkins, the famous 'esoteric' bookshop in Cecil Court in London. I sat in my hall of residence room transfixed by a world made familiar; and, it was deepening of a commitment to contemplation (which has been observed fitfully)! I remember returning, at the time, to my school to give a talk to the combined fifth form on Buddhism and using Govinda as the backbone of my delivery (both this book, and his equally wonderful, the Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism). I was voted (I immodestly remember) their best invited speaker of the year. I had even bought a recording of Tibetan music as opener and closer! He reminded me of how important Buddhism was (and is) to my own thinking and comprehension of my experience. The Buddha's First Sermon in the Deer Park was the first religious text I read (of my own volition) at the tender age

Searching for paradise in the hidden Himalayas

At moments of dislocation and intense social uncertainty people will appear offering the possibility of another land where people will be blessed, liberated and genuinely at home. In this case, it was not 'Brexit' but a hidden land of actual immortality, enfolded within the mountain ranges around Mt Kanchenjunga on the Nepalese/Sikkim border. Unlike Shangri-la, Beyul Demoshong was not simply a physical space, carefully hidden (as imagined in Hilton's Lost Horizon) but an occulted place spiritually hidden. The person offering this journey and opening the way to it was the 'crazy lama', Tulshuk Lingpa. Lingpa was a 'terton' a finder of 'terma' which were texts magically hidden until discovered at the right moment for them to be of maximum usefulness to people's spiritual development. They were often hidden by Padmasambhava, the robust wonder-working bringer of Buddhism to Tibet; and, Tibetan Buddhism is alive with such discoveries (though und

Parzival and the neutral angels

Fresh from contemplating 'Lost Christianity', I read Lindsay Clarke's fabulous re-telling of Wolfram von Eschenbach's poem, 'Parzival and the Stone from Heaven' from which 'Christendom' is lost! Von Eschenbach was a sacred poet but one of ecumenical sympathies where not only is Parzival's final battle (unknowingly) with his brother, the piebald Saracen, Feirefiz, essential to his self-discovery but the two of them enter the Grail castle together and are granted together a vision of the 'stone' that is the Grail. When Feirefiz asks whether it is permitted to see this Christian  mystery, Parzival answers (in Clarke's version) yes for, "all Nature's increase is there, so I think that this stone from Heaven must be a living emblem of the earth itself, which is mother and father to us all." There are knights, ladies, sorcerers, hermits and wise old hags abounding in Eschenbach's world but interestingly for a mediev