Skip to main content

No end to snowdrops




"No end to snowdrops" is Philippa Bernard's authorized biography of Kathleen Raine which, unlike much contemporary literary biography, is mercifully short. Like many first biographies, it aims at a sensible, balanced accounting of the lineaments of a life rather than offer any judgement to posterity on the importance of that life or the subject's work. It is not, in any sense, a 'deep' work.

In this it succeeds admirably - in evoking the life of a poet I remember with guarded affection. Affection because she was nothing other than kind to me, though we had our disagreements primarily over Christianity, but because, as this book makes partially clear, she could cast a sharp edged shadow.

I learnt new things most especially how deep was her involvement with the College of Psychic Studies - both in in the governance of its journal, 'Light' but more interestingly her connection, through two mediums, with whom she believed to be the spirit of Gavin Maxwell. He the abiding love of her life. A love utterly Platonic, and not only in the washed out meaning of that phrase in modern usage. A Platonic love that saw in Gavin a shared soul of imaginative truth. A seeing that Gavin could not accept except, I feel reading this, when he momentarily stepped into his deepest self. It was a subject, that of Gavin Maxwell, having read her three volumes of autobiography, I was careful never to raise with her!

I was happily cast back to the teas at 47 Paulton's Square whose conversation went on so long that tea was often abandoned for whiskey! Reading her visits to India, my eyes reached up from the sofa, to my statue of Ganesha around which is garlanded a rosary from Hardwar that she gave me, remarking that mine was the first truly human face that she had seen since her return from India. A poetic fancy I enjoyed but did not treat seriously. Though interestingly I was yet to visit India and find myself at home.

I loved the descriptions of her relationship with Winifred Nicholson and their common expeditions together: to paint and write. Their work, in different media, have such common tonalities - an exploration of the minute particulars of the world, of colour, of the world's translucence to a different order, a sacred one. Also of her friendship with the Muirs, Edwin and Willa: I cannot describe the strange joy that always overcomes me when reading of their relationship. I broke off to read his poems, sheltered and made possible in her love.

The book does have some odd infelicities: the Muirs are said to have won a 'small grant' to travel to America. Edwin was, in fact, invited to give the Charles Eliot Norton lectures at Harvard - the most distinguished honour to be afforded a poet. Whilst dear Carmen Blacker is described as a distinguished Japanese scholar who was fluent in Japanese - you would hope so!

All in all a good first accounting but a life and work that deserves in due course a fuller body of regard (and criticism).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buddha meets Christ in embrace

Reading Lama Anagarika Govinda is proving nostalgic on a number of fronts. I recall my first reading of it in my first year at university, bought at Watkins, the famous 'esoteric' bookshop in Cecil Court in London. I sat in my hall of residence room transfixed by a world made familiar; and, it was deepening of a commitment to contemplation (which has been observed fitfully)! I remember returning, at the time, to my school to give a talk to the combined fifth form on Buddhism and using Govinda as the backbone of my delivery (both this book, and his equally wonderful, the Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism). I was voted (I immodestly remember) their best invited speaker of the year. I had even bought a recording of Tibetan music as opener and closer! He reminded me of how important Buddhism was (and is) to my own thinking and comprehension of my experience. The Buddha's First Sermon in the Deer Park was the first religious text I read (of my own volition) at the tender age

Searching for paradise in the hidden Himalayas

At moments of dislocation and intense social uncertainty people will appear offering the possibility of another land where people will be blessed, liberated and genuinely at home. In this case, it was not 'Brexit' but a hidden land of actual immortality, enfolded within the mountain ranges around Mt Kanchenjunga on the Nepalese/Sikkim border. Unlike Shangri-la, Beyul Demoshong was not simply a physical space, carefully hidden (as imagined in Hilton's Lost Horizon) but an occulted place spiritually hidden. The person offering this journey and opening the way to it was the 'crazy lama', Tulshuk Lingpa. Lingpa was a 'terton' a finder of 'terma' which were texts magically hidden until discovered at the right moment for them to be of maximum usefulness to people's spiritual development. They were often hidden by Padmasambhava, the robust wonder-working bringer of Buddhism to Tibet; and, Tibetan Buddhism is alive with such discoveries (though und

Parzival and the neutral angels

Fresh from contemplating 'Lost Christianity', I read Lindsay Clarke's fabulous re-telling of Wolfram von Eschenbach's poem, 'Parzival and the Stone from Heaven' from which 'Christendom' is lost! Von Eschenbach was a sacred poet but one of ecumenical sympathies where not only is Parzival's final battle (unknowingly) with his brother, the piebald Saracen, Feirefiz, essential to his self-discovery but the two of them enter the Grail castle together and are granted together a vision of the 'stone' that is the Grail. When Feirefiz asks whether it is permitted to see this Christian  mystery, Parzival answers (in Clarke's version) yes for, "all Nature's increase is there, so I think that this stone from Heaven must be a living emblem of the earth itself, which is mother and father to us all." There are knights, ladies, sorcerers, hermits and wise old hags abounding in Eschenbach's world but interestingly for a mediev